No waiver required for shipments to Tanzania. Cargo Tracking Note (CTN) / Bordereau de Suivi de Cargaison (BSC) not required.
Pre-Shipment Verification Conformity Program (PVoC):
Tanzania’s Bureau of Standards (TBS) has appointed SGS to implement a Pre-Shipment Verification of Conformity (PVoC) program which took effect as of 1st January 2012.
Under the Pre-Shipment Verification Conformity Program all regulated products to be imported to Tanzania will undergo verification and testing in the country of supply and a Certificate of Conformity (CoC) will be issued to demonstrate that they meet the requirements of the applicable national standards or approved equivalents and technical regulations. The Certificate of Conformity (CoC) is mandatory for Customs clearance.
Tanzania’s Bureau of Standards (TBS) had introduced the PCA Program to protect the country, consumers and local manufacturers from the following:
- Unfair competition from imported goods which do no comply with the approved standards
- Substandard products that may endanger public health, safety or the environment
- Counterfeit or unsafe products
Products regulated under the PCA Program include:
- Automotive products
- Toys and childcare products
- Chemical and household products (furniture, paper products etc)
- Electrical and electronic products
- Used products
- Selected safety equipment
- Food and agricultural products
- Mechanical materials and gas appliances
There are 3 potential options to PVoC certification depending on conditions including, but not exclusively the type of product, its homogeneity, frequency of shipments and the manufacturer’s quality management system.
- Option A: for unregistered products (unregistered suppliers of manufacturer’s of sensitive goods). Products must be tested and physically inspected to demonstrate conformity to relevant standards, essential requirements or manufacturer’s specification.
- Option B: for registered supplies or manufacturers of goods. This is a fast track certificate process for goods with reasonable and consistent levels of quality by registration of products with the PVoC contractor. Product Registration is highly recommended to exporters with frequent shipments of homogenous products.
- Option C: licensed products. This option is only open to manufacturers who can show the existence of a quality management system in their production/ manufacturing process. This option requires an audit of any quality management system and licensing of products by the authorised PVoC contractor. This option is highly recommended for manufacturers with high frequency of shipments.
Goods Exempt from Pre-Shipment Verification Conformity Program (PVoC):
- Raw materials for industrial use, endorsed by Confederaton of Tanzania Industries (CTI)
- Retreaded tires
- Used tires
- Motor vehicles
- Gasoline, automotive diesel fuel, aviation turbine fuel, illuminating kerosene and fuel oil
- Mining equipment/ products except for foods and protective gear
- All shipments with FOB under USD 1000 on all modes of carriage
- Investors capital goods
- Products from TBS and KEBS certified suppliers
- Cargo destined for Zanzibar
- Products sent for repairs outside Tanzania
- East African Community (EAC) manufactured and with certificate mark of local bureau of standards (KEBS, BBN, UNBS, RBS and TBS)
- Spare parts for use in industries to ensure good manufacturing of final goods
- Export Processing Zones (EPZ) destination
- Materials for specific Government projects
- Charitable shipments which have received TBS exemption
- Consolidated/ assorted cargo for small traders